We at Hostelling Scotland we believe that every young person should have the opportunity to explore and experience Scotland, and to reap the huge benefits of a residential trip away. The Hostelling Scotland Explorer Fund aims to enable this by supporting disadvantaged young people from youth groups and schools to stay in a Hostelling Scotland youth hostel anywhere in Scotland.
Hostelling Scotland are committed to supporting Learning Away in their vision for more children and young people to enjoy high quality ‘Brilliant Residentials’ and the life changing experiences they offer. Through their research Learning Away have identified that a Brilliant Residential will:
- Be co-designed with young people (and led by young people where appropriate)
- Have clear learning objectives based on young peoples’ needs
- Be inclusive and affordable for all young people
- Include a plan to follow up on the experiences/learning after the residential.
For more information on delivering Brilliant Residentials please go to http://learningaway.org.uk/residentials/
Who is eligible?
- Youth Groups, Schools, Colleges, and other registered charities working with target groups of young people that are aiming to deliver a Brilliant Residential experience
- Young people are classed as those aged 8 to 25 years.
- Target groups include: disadvantaged young people, young people living in areas of deprivation, young people in receipt of free schools meals, young carers, young people with disabilities, care experienced young people and young people who have never had a residential experience.
Where and when?
- Groups can choose to go to any Hostelling Scotland hostel within the Hostelling Scotland network (not including affiliate hostels) information on each hostel is available at syha.org.uk/where-to-stay/
- The trip can take place at any time until 31st December 2018 (depending on availability in the chosen hostel/s)
- Minimum 1 night to Maximum 3 night stay
- The accommodation and catering costs for each trip will be covered. (Successful groups will be asked to pay a small contribution of £100 per group)
- Group leaders will be responsible for the planning of programmes and activities during the trip (in partnership with young people) and for the supervision of all young people in their care at all times.
- Transport costs and any Activity costs are the responsibility of the group.
Download the application form here: Hostelling Scotland Explorer Fund